What Education Means to Me

    Education is something that is very highly valued in my family. On my father’s side of the family, the older generations grew up down in the south. With all of them being Black in the south and growing up in poverty, it presented them with many challenges. In order to help pay the bills, the children, when of age and able, were expected to start working, no matter the size of the job. As a result, school was something that was put on the back burner. When my father’s parents finally migrated to the north for better opportunities for themselves and their family, they enforced the concept of going to school towards my father so that he wouldn’t have to face the hardships that they did when they didn’t have the education they deserved. My father and his siblings got to attend college, something his parents didn’t get the chance to do. When it came to my mother’s side of the family, her parents immigrated from Cuba to give her and my aunt a better life and so that my grandparents could have better jobs to send money to family back to their home country. They were unable to speak English when they arrived in the United States and that was due to the lack of education that they had access to back in Cuba because of their financial situation and the political climate of the country at the time. With my aunt and mom being able to go to school, they were able to learn English and help translate things such as legal documents or towards other people. With both sides of the family, education was seen almost as a privilege and blessing to be able to have. Because I am the second generation in my family to be able to go to school, I am expected to be able to succeed very highly because of said privilege. After all, it is not like I am facing the same struggles my older relatives did. At least, that is how they see it as.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Role Model

Is Fast Food the New Tobacco?

My Educational Setback